Wednesday, August 7, 2013

8/7/13- Praise in Music

My heart, O God, is steadfast;
    I will sing and make music with all my soul.
Awake, harp and lyre!
    I will awaken the dawn.
I will praise you, Lord, among the nations;
    I will sing of you among the peoples.
For great is your love, higher than the heavens;
    your faithfulness reaches to the skies.
Be exalted, O God, above the heavens;
    let your glory be over all the earth. (Psalm 108:1-5; duplicate 57:7-11)

Confession of 1967: The church responds to the message of reconciliation in praise and prayer...The arts, especially music and architecture, contribute to the praise and prayer of a Christian congregation when they help men to look beyond themselves to God and to the world which is the object of his love.

Thoughts: There is a time for silence.  But in the company of God, music fits in well.  In America we have access to many different instruments, sound systems, and devices that can enhance the praise of God.  Music can go deep to the soul and stir the soul too.  In heaven the angels and the people will be singing praise to God.  So to praise God now, not only joins with the angels and saints who have gone before, but it gives us a foretaste of what heaven can be like.  Perhaps the difference will be that they hymns are sung clearer and on more on key.  One huge advantage Christians have in life is a song to sing and joy in the heart.  There are not many atheist hymns.  Christians have a song to get started at sunrise, and a song to finish in the evening.  We praise God for the sunrise and the sunset. 

Prayer: Awake my soul.  Wake up with music!  My songs will usher in the day, and I will begin the day with you, O Lord. 


No comments:

Post a Comment