Monday, August 19, 2013

8/20/13- Evaluating the Situation

11 I went to Jerusalem, and after staying there three days 12 I set out during the night with a few others. I had not told anyone what my God had put in my heart to do for Jerusalem. There were no mounts with me except the one I was riding on.
13 By night I went out through the Valley Gate toward the Jackal Well and the Dung Gate, examining the walls of Jerusalem, which had been broken down, and its gates, which had been destroyed by fire. 14 Then I moved on toward the Fountain Gate and the King’s Pool, but there was not enough room for my mount to get through; 15 so I went up the valley by night, examining the wall. Finally, I turned back and reentered through the Valley Gate.16 The officials did not know where I had gone or what I was doing, because as yet I had said nothing to the Jews or the priests or nobles or officials or any others who would be doing the work.

Thoughts: To do things properly we need to evaluate the situation.  We need to ask what really is the problem, the weakness; where is the strength and energy that drives what is going on.  One globally popular TV show is "Undercover Boss"- which involves the CEO of a company disguising and working as an everyday employee of their own company.  It allows them to see weaknesses, and how people really feel, and to be sympathetic to their own employees.  Nehemiah did not gallop into town with guns blazing and assignments rifting off of his tongue.  Rather he went and listened.  He went at night when no one could see what he was doing, and looked long and hard at the demise of his city and his people.  
     To do anything positive, we have to first evaluate what is going on realistically and not romantically.  We need to look at the cold hard facts, and see what can be done to fix things.
      Today, the churches that are full of skepticism and quasi-pride, are often the churches that are plateauing.  It is perhaps as simple as this- churches who believe are growing, and churches who doubt for the most part are shrinking.  The crisis of the church is a crisis of faith.  We should not wish for "the good old days" when the church ruled (Constantine-like), but we should wish for God to use us as mission-lights shining in the secular and skeptical darkness.  The virus and poison of doubt and quasi-pride are destroying the church.  We need to humble ourselves as little children.  This does not mean we need to become naiive or unintelligent, but it does mean to trust God in simple, humble faith.  

Prayer: Help me, O Lord, to see clearly what is going on around me so that I may discern what your next step is for me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment