Saturday, August 17, 2013

8/18/13- Real Planning

Then the king, with the queen sitting beside him, asked me, “How long will your journey take, and when will you get back?” It pleased the king to send me; so I set a time.
I also said to him, “If it pleases the king, may I have letters to the governors of Trans-Euphrates, so that they will provide me safe-conduct until I arrive in Judah? And may I have a letter to Asaph, keeper of the royal park, so he will give me timber to make beams for the gates of the citadel by the temple and for the city wall and for the residence I will occupy?” And because the gracious hand of my God was on me, the king granted my requests. So I went to the governors of Trans-Euphrates and gave them the king’s letters. The king had also sent army officers and cavalry with me.

Thoughts: Nehemiah was really wanting to build the wall in Jerusalem.  Here the king of the mightiest empire was giving him a chance, and wanted to know if he has thought through this.  The practical plans take place after the prayers have been prayed and the need perceived deeply.  A schedule was asked for, the route was planned, materials were gathered, and protection was given.  But Nehemiah was very aware that everything was working out because "the gracious hand of my God was on me."  Without God's blessing we are spinning our wheels, walking through quicksand, or wasting our efforts.  In the end it is not the task that is nearly so important that we do with our lives, but the way we find God's blessings and favor.  

Prayer: Help me O Lord, that you gracious hand may rest upon me. 




No comments:

Post a Comment