Thursday, August 15, 2013

8/16/13- Preparing for the Next Step

 In the month of Nisan in the twentieth year of King Artaxerxes, when wine was brought for him, I took the wine and gave it to the king. I had not been sad in his presence before, so the king asked me, “Why does your face look so sad when you are not ill? This can be nothing but sadness of heart.”
I was very much afraid, but I said to the king, “May the king live forever! Why should my face not look sad when the city where my ancestors are buried lies in ruins, and its gates have been destroyed by fire?
The king said to me, “What is it you want?”
Then I prayed to the God of heaven, and I answered the king, (Nehemiah 2:1-4)

Thoughts: It was four months after the original report that the walls and gates of Jerusalem were destroyed.  Nehemiah had been praying or planning for this moment.  Nehemiah was normally a cheerful and jovial guy who the king wanted to be around.  Nehemiah was not planning or faking sadness, he was sad deep within.  He was a lover of God and a lover of his country and the people of the covenant.  It is a bit like the Psalm written in captivity that says, "How can we sing the songs of the Lord in a foreign land?"  (Ps. 137:4).  After 911 hit, it was not easy for many months to be joyful.  We were in a state of grief.  But after four months, it was time to do something.  The question of the king was what is the next step?  It is a question we need to ask when we see the church in shambles.  What is the next step that will stop the problem.  The question should not be asked in one place but in many places.  If every church did its part to witness, to make a difference, to help the needy, to stand up boldly for what is right- and not get sidetracked by petty squabbles, then we can turn things around.
    But Nehemiah's response was not a quick answer- even after thinking four months.  His response was to ask God for wisdom and help.  If we are to fix, to build, to bear fruit, to succeed- then our first step, second step and every step should be to look to God.  

Prayer: Help me O Lord, to feel the pain of your church, and to look to you to show us the next step.  

(Artaxerxes I- King of Persia who spoke to Nehemiah)

No comments:

Post a Comment